Thursday 6 October 2016

Race 2: Abersoch Half Marathon 26/203 miles

Race 2 completed!

Chaparral Abersoch Half Marathon: Saturday 24th September 2016; Time completed 02.07hrs; Weather overcast and windy. 



Firstly apologies for the untimely update of race number 2. It has been a busy week since and time just flies (to the point where I am writing this with only 2 days to go to race 3!). 

The Abersoch Half was fantastic and I thoroughly enjoyed the race, I will be putting it on my to do list again for next year! It was a small race compared to the Wirral Half with just over 300 runners. The course was very undulating with plenty of hills, which made it challenging but also exciting and interesting; it definitely keeps you on your toes. 

It was a windy start to race day (no not that kind of wind). With an interrupted nights sleep due to heavy rain and howling wind, I woke with a little feeling of dread at the thought of a 13.1 mile run in wind, rain, cold, hills, sand, mountains and perhaps snow?! But luckily by the time we had finished breakfast (in sheer fear I'll add) it had died down to just some wind. As we headed off to collect Jane and Michaels race numbers from the pub next door to our cottage, we were full of new found confidence, happily strolling and taking in the atmosphere. What we didn't realise was that race numbers were being handed out at race headquarters by the finish line on the beach (not from the pub where I got mine the night before). That's ok, we still had time and its only a 10 minute walk away... Well a brisk marathon walk down then up a mammoth hill later we were all set and legs were well and truly warmed up. As we approached the start line we spotted Deni, Den and the lovely Lily (as Michael accurately described her, a lovely little flirt, that's the dog not Deni!). 

The race started off and I had positioned myself near the back as my tactic for this hilly half was to go steady and not try to push for a time; hills, wind, sand did not equal a fast time. I knew from the Wirral half that I struggled at mile 8 and 9 so I wanted to make sure I had enough in reserve and for the hill at mile 10 (so extra jelly babies were needed too). The course was beautiful, going through quaint little villages in the countryside and down narrow lanes. Thankfully at the beginning of the race I did not have to contend with a Banana man; and Wonder woman was obviously off being wonderful somewhere else. I did have to negotiate and dodge some traffic though as not all roads were closed. This wasn't too bad as the roads seemed generally quiet. What I did find confusing is that at some points of the course, it was difficult to work out where to go. At miles 9 and 12 you pass the same part of the course (you complete a loop twice before heading to the finish) and I did think to myself it'll be my luck that I miss 4 miles out and finish first (I'll re-phrase that, be one of the first to finish). 

Heading up to mile 10 was the dreaded hill named ' Tocyn Brutal ' (translation please Deni, although I think we get the gist).  This was one hilly hill! As I approached, I made sure that I took shorter steps, head up, concentrated on breathing and finding the correct path up. I have to say, my competitive side made me run all the way up (I may as well have been walking at the pace I was going) but the majority of runners were indeed walking up. They should have took more jelly babies with them!

Throughout the race I felt great (apart from needing the toilet from mile 7) and I definitely felt that all the training I was doing was paying off. From about mile 4 to 12.5 miles, I had the company of a green vested Macmillan runner. As we approached the beach finish, she all of a sudden thanked me for the company and for being her wind shield throughout the race, She then scampered off kicking sand in my face! I felt cheated! Never found out your name but thanks for your company and the sand bath!

The dreaded beach finish was made all the more entertaining by the added bonus of having to negotiate a dozen or so groynes. These were not too high, but were very challenging at the end of a race and in the end I resorted to stopping and stepping over them. Looking at my watch, I knew I was on for a PB, but this was not your normal finish, I still had the little problem of negotiating half a mile of sand. The end was in sight and the clock was ticking and no matter how fast I thought I was going I just didn't seem to be getting any closer. Finally spotted Julie, Deni, Den and Lily and to a big round of cheers applause I managed a PB 02.07hrs. A medal, banana, Mars bar and a well deserved cider topped of a great race. 

Not far behind was Jane and Michael. A great relief that Michael did not look like he had been shot this time, but instead some race wounds from Jane's dainty fall on the beach! Well done to you both, more PBs with everyone improving on their time from the Wirral half. And who said there would be no PBs at Abersoch. Race 2 done! 

For anyone remotely interested my mile splits were:
Mile 1:  9m
Mile 2-4: 8m
Mile 5-7: 9m
Mile 8-9: 10m
Mile 10-13: 11m

Thank you to Abersoch for such a wonderful scenic race. Lets hope the Sensations Group do their homework and realise that people run these races for their own charities, no one charity is more deserving than another! 

Good job Team!

Race 3 is nearly here. Roll on Bangor!

Clarke 












No comments:

Post a Comment