Wednesday 17 August 2016

New running shoes- The Runners Hub



It has always been my intention to eventually get some decent running trainers for this challenge but I wanted to see how I would get on with my current ones and then perhaps upgrade later on in the year. Now I don't know much about trainers but thought my Nike dual fusions were pretty spot on. Well I have to say that If you have ever thought about getting your running gait analysed and getting professional advice on the best type of trainers then I would highly recommend it. After a bit of encouragement from Julie I decided to upgrade sooner rather than later and I am glad I did!

I made an appointment with our new local running shop; The Runners Hub. I was asked to bring my current trainers for analysis and to make sure I was wearing appropriate clothing for a little running on the treadmill. For me that meant put some sports shorts on for Julie it meant wear socks with no holes in! 

When we arrived Nigel, Julie and Chris were very welcoming. We told the team about our background  to our 203 mile running challenge who were very supportive and were glad to help us on our running journey.

During the gait analysis my running gait was recorded and assessed in my current trainers by Nigel. I was able to watch my running gait back as Nigel discussed my running style with me. My technique was generally fine but it was pointed out that my right foot turned inwards making my running less efficient and also prone to injury. It was really interesting to watch my running back, it was played in slow motion so that I could see the position of my feet on each step, and I could clearly see that my right foot collapsing inwards. I have always known that I had a weakness with injuries on my right leg; be it ankle, calf, knee or hamstring! So it was important that I reduced the potential of injury as I have a fair few miles to run for this challenge. Nigel also looked at the tread of my trainers and had me running in my socks (which were hole free!) too...a fully comprehensive analysis. 

So from this I was advised that a more supportive stability trainer was needed to prevent my foot rolling inwards. I was able to try a range of trainers on and have a run in them on the treadmill to see which were most comfortable. Nigel works with you and again assesses and records your running gait. What really impressed me is that not only do you get advice on the best type of trainers to wear but advice on your running technique. I learnt that my stride pattern or what is also known as cadence was lower than it should be at around 165. Apparently an effective cadence (around 170-180) can really improve your running efficiency. 

It was definitely a worthwhile experience and I would highly recommend getting an analysis done if you are a regular runner or have a marathon ahead of you! If you are local I would recommend visiting the Runners Hub in Heswall. Nigel and the team are friendly and welcoming and full of knowledge and advice. Visit their website or facebook page to find out more.

So for me the winners were Asics Gel-Kayano 22!

Thank you to all the team at the Runners Hub for getting me and our Harry's Helping Sands 203 mile Running Challenge up and running!!

Now...to work on my cadence in my new running shoes!

Clarke


Gait analysis in hole-less socks!
Fits like a glove
A smooth ride!
The team, Nigel, Chris and Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment